- Greater awareness. Clearly, we have an enhanced capability to diagnose and report vets with conditions such as PTSD and TBI.
- Earlier generations of vets may not have had these diagnoses.
- More dangerous combat conditions. The engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan were dangerous and stressful, often with little predictability of where attacks would come from and who the enemy was.
- Again, itâ€™s difficult to get an exact number because there are different definitions of disability.
- Itâ€™s hard to predict exactly, but itâ€™s estimated that over the next decade, there will be about 1.6 million veterans returning from active service.
- Since 2001, 2.5 million service members have been deployed in Iraq or Afghanistanâ€”Vets who served since Sept 2001 are called â€śGulf War Era IIâ€ť vets.
- Among Gulf War II vets, more than a third of these were deployed more than once and nearly 400,000 were deployed three or more times.