Does a doctor have to provide a sign language interpreter if I ask for one?

Title II and III ADA regulations specifically state that you cannot be required to bring a family member or another individual with you to interpret.  Instead the doctor is required to provide auxiliary aids or services in order to ensure effective communication.  This could mean hiring a qualified sign language interpreter or it might be another method, such as video remote translating—as long as the communication is equally effective for both of you to understand each other. 

The interpreter must also be a qualified interpreter.  Suppose the doctor hires someone who claims to be an interpreter but the patient doesn’t understand the signs. Or the interpreter does not know how to sign medical terminology.  Then the communication is not effective and the patient needs to stop the appointment and reschedule when a different interpreter can be found.