Who chooses the auxiliary aid or service that will be provided?

The person making the request should be clear about his/her needs; the person providing the auxiliary aid or service needs to be sure that what is provided is also effective. 

If the request comes to a state or local government agency, the agency must give priority to the type of auxiliary aid or service the person identifies.  If the request comes to a Title III or private entity, however, the business can decide on the specific type of auxiliary aid it provides as long as the aid provided is equally effective in ensuring accurate communication. 

With a private entity, what is needed to provide effective communication depends on what, exactly, needs to be communicated.  If it is a simple transaction between a customer who is deaf and a sales person at a camera store, then pen and paper may be all that is needed to discuss the sale and answer the customer’s questions.  However, if it is a more complex situation—say if the customer is discussing financing a new car—then the services of a sign language interpreter might be required.  And yes, the car dealer is responsible for finding and paying for the qualified sign language interpreter.