I received a request from someone who will be traveling from another state to attend my workshop. She is deaf and wants to bring a sign language interpreter with her. Do I have to pay for her interpreter?

A public entity or private business conducting a workshop cannot require an individual with a disability to bring another individual to interpret for him or her. Likewise, the public entity or private business is not required to provide for an aide to travel with the individual with a disability.

However, the ADA does require the public entity or private business to furnish appropriate auxiliary aids and services where necessary to ensure effective communication with individuals with disabilities during the workshop. This may include providing qualified sign language interpreters in person or through video remote interpreting (VRI) services.

As such, the organization conducting the workshop is financially responsible for the cost of the auxiliary aid or service provided unless it can demonstrate that it would be an undue financial burden in light of the overall financial resources of the entire entity, including any parent corporation if applicable. Even if it is determined that a particular auxiliary aid or service (such as qualified interpreter) is an undue financial burden, the entity must still provide effective communication utilizing a different auxiliary aid or service.