Why is the disability rate higher among Gulf War era II vets than among vets from previous engagements?
- Greater awareness. Clearly, we have an enhanced capability to diagnose and report vets with conditions such as PTSD and TBI.
- Earlier generations of vets may not have had these diagnoses.
- More dangerous combat conditions. The engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan were dangerous and stressful, often with little predictability of where attacks would come from and who the enemy was.
- Gulf War Era II vets were more likely to have repeated deployments.
- They were also more likely to not have the recommended rest period between deployments.