- Returning veterans with disabilities are not automatically covered under the ADA. Their disability must meet the ADA’s definition of disability: A mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity.
- In most cases, however, disabilities such as PTSD, TBI or depression would be covered under the ADA.
- There are two EEOC documenst which can help clarify these issues.
- One of these is for employers-Veterans and the Americ
- 35.1% of veterans with a service-connected disability have a disability rating of 50% or higher (410,700).
- Veterans with a service connected disability rating of 50% or higher have significantly lower rates of employment that those with ratings of 0 to 40%.
- Only 25% of the 131,900 veterans with a service connected rating of 70% or higher are employed.